- There are currently 10,096-registered sex offenders in Colorado, as of June 2, 2008.
- Approximately 60% of convicted sex offenders in Colorado are sentenced to community placement (probation, parole, or community corrections) with the remainder being sentenced to incarceration at the Department of Corrections or the county jail
(Colorado State Court Administrator?s Office, 2003).
- As of June 2008, there are currently 457 Sexually Violent Predators in Colorado. Of these, 364 are currently incarcerated in the Department of Corrections and 93 are listed on the Colorado Sex Offender Registration web site. (Not all SVP?s who are incarcerated are posted on the web site. As an SVP is released from prison to live in the community, they will be posted to the Web site).
- A 1998 study by the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment found:
- 1 in 150 women and 1 in 830 men in Colorado had experienced a completed or attempted sexual assault in the past 12 months;
- Approximately 16% of these assaults were reported to police;
- 1 in 4 women and 1 in 17 men in Colorado had experienced a completed or attempted sexual assault in their lifetime
(Colorado Department of Health, 1998).