Candidate Information - April 7, 2015 General Municipal Election
General Municipal elections are held on the first Tuesday in April of odd-numbered years. All municipal elections are non-partisan and nomination is by petition.
The City Clerk is the designated election official for the City of Colorado Springs.
Candidates for Mayor and the three At-Large City Council positions eligible for election in 2015 may obtain a candidate filing packet beginning January 7, 2015 in the City Clerk’s Office, 30 South Nevada Avenue, Suite 101 - Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Must be a citizen of the United States of America;
- Must be 25 years of age or older on the date of election;
- Must have resided in the City of Colorado Springs for one-year immediately preceding the election date; and
- Must be a registered elector of the City of Colorado Springs, Colorado. Go to www.govotecolorado.com to verify voter registration.
- Candidates for Mayor and At-Large Council seats are required to circulate Nomination Petitions, obtaining at least 100 verified signatures of registered electors who reside within Colorado Springs City limits. All Candidates should acquire more than the minimum number of signatures. Nomination petitions are supplied by the City Clerk.
- No registered elector may sign more than one Nominating Petition for a Mayoral candidate or more than three nomination petitions for At-Large City Council Candidates.
- Nomination petitions will be available Wednesday, January 7, 2015 in the City Clerk’s Office, 30 S. Nevada Ave., Suite 101.
- Nomination petitions may be circulated and signed beginning on the 90th day (January 7, 2015) and ending on the 55th day (February 11, 2015) prior to the April 7, 2015 election date.
- Deadline to file Nomination Petitions with the Colorado Springs City Clerk:
5:00 p.m. - February 11, 2015 (55 days prior to election)
- An Affidavit of Independent Candidacy form (supplied by the City Clerk) must be filed with the Nomination Petitions - City Code 5.2.102. The form will be supplied by the City Clerk.
- Within 10 days after filing the Nomination Petition and Affidavit of Independent Candidacy, a candidate must file the Disclosure of Substantial Private Business Interests form (supplied by the City Clerk) - City Code 5.2.103.
- The City Clerk’s Office will verify that the petition contains the requisite number of valid signatures to be placed on the ballot as a candidate.
- If a candidate files a nomination petition that does not have the requisite number of valid signatures, a candidate may have an opportunity to circulate additional petitions to meet the signature requirements prior to the 5:00 p.m., February 11, 2015 deadline.
- Any candidate that has not filed the required number of valid signatures, verified by the City Clerk’s Office by the filing date will be disqualified and will be ineligible to appear on the election ballot.
- Mayor or At-Large City Council Nomination Petition
- Affidavit of Independent Candidacy
- Disclosure of Substantial Private Business Interests
The three forms listed above are supplied by the City Clerk
- A candidate, who has met all filing and petition requirements, may withdraw from nomination by filing an affidavit with the City Clerk’s Office no later than February 16, 2015 (prior to 50 days before election date) - City Code 5.1.107 and CRS 31-10-303.
- An elected City official wishing to withdraw from nomination must comply with City Charter 2-10(e).
- A candidate, who does not file an affidavit of withdrawal with the City Clerk’s Office prior to the deadline, will remain a valid candidate and their name will still appear on the election ballot.
- The Colorado Springs Campaign Finance law governs the reporting requirements for campaign donations and expenditures. More information is on the Campaign Finance page.