Back to Special Events

Park ONLY Special Event
Film Permits
Forms and Documents
LART/City Sponsorship
Make Your Event GREEN
Contact Us


1401 Recreation Way
Colorado Springs, CO 80905
Phone: 719-385-5476
Fax: 719-385-6599
Contact: City Event Coordinator
Email: bgoodwin@springsgo. . .

City of Colorado Springs / Economic Vitality / Special Events / FAQ


What types of events require a special event permit?
Events that close streets, take place in public locations (other than a City Park or Open Space), have greater than 10,000 total participants, beer garden or high-risk activities are required to submit the   Citywide Special Event Permit Application.
Events that are completely contained within a City Park or Open Space are required to submit the Parks, Recreation and Cultural Services Special Event Permit Application.  These events do not have road closures, beer gardens, high-risk activities or greater than 10,000 total participants.
Is there an application fee for the Citywide Special Event Permit?
There is no application fee for  the Citywide Special Event Permit Application.
There is a $25 fee for the Parks, Recreation and Cultural Services Special Event Permit Application.
What happens after I submit my Citywide Special Event Permit?                                                              
All Citywide Special Event Permits are reviewed by the City Special Event Coordinator.  A confirmation email of receipt will be sent to the Event Organizer outlining any outstanding items to complete the application.
Those events with street closures and needing a Traffic Control Plan are then invited to meet with the City's Traffic Control Committee.  This committee meets twice per month on Friday mornings to assist Organizers in creating Traffic Control Plans.
Once a  Citywide Special Event Permit Application is complete, it is reviewed by the City Special Event Committee.  The committee has representation from each major City department and meets on the second Tuesday of each month at 9:30AM at the Police Operations Center (705 South Nevada Avenue).  Event Organizers are invited to meet with the Committee to ask questions and provide information about their events.  
After the initial review process, a Cost Estimate Letter is sent to the Event Organizer outlining the projected cost of City services to include any applicable discounts.
When all required documentation is provided to the City, a Special Event Permit will be issued.
What other types of permits could be required for my event?
Click here for a complete listing of permits.
What other types of fees might be required for my event?     
The City of Colorado Springs charges for the cost of any required Police or Fire Medical personnel, meter hooding, park fees and damage fees if applicable in addition to the fees for any additionally required permits.  All projected fees and applicable discounts will be outlined in a Cost Estimate Letter provided to each Event Organizer as part of the permit application process.
Is Event Insurance required to obtain a Special Event Permit?    
Yes.  Events are required to have Commercial General Liability Insurance that names the City of Colorado Springs as Additional Insured.  The policy must be for a minimum of $500,000 with an aggregate amount of $1,000,000.  Additional insurance may be required dependent upon the event size and any high risk activities.  Coverage must be maintained for the duration of the event including setup and dismantle dates.  Event insurance will be primary; any City insurance will be non-contributory.
Are there discounts available for non-profit organizations?   
Yes.  Non-profit organizations providing their IRS 501 (C) tax exemption letter will receive a 50% discount for Police and Fire Medical personnel.
Can I host an event in a parking lot if I have permission from the owner?        
Events in parking lots may require a Temporary Use Permit.  For questions or to obtain a Temporary Use Permit, call 719-385-5621.
How can I become a vendor at a special event?                      
Vendors interested in participating at a special event must directly contact each event's Organizer or Promoter directly.
How do I invite my local Fire Station to come to my event?  
To invite the Fire Department to participate in your event, please call 719-385-7250.
What kind of permit do I need for a Neighborhood Block Party?  
Neighborhood Block Parties are overseen by the Colorado Springs Fire Department.  For information regarding Neighborhood Block Parties, click here.
If I obtain a Noise Hardship Permit, will I receive permission to have amplified sound at my event? 
Not necessarily.  All Noise Hardship Permit Applications are reviewed by the Colorado Springs Police Department and are subject to City codes and guidelines regarding noise and amplified sound.
Can we use City buses to shuttle attendees for our event?      
It is difficult for the City to allow use of busses for Special Events as they are under strict Federal regulations.  Because of these Federal regulations, individuals cannot be transported for the ‘exclusive use’ of the vehicle and a fare must be charged.  Click here for the Transit Policy for use of City buses for Special Events and the basic form to complete to begin the request process.  Please note that all requests will be evaluated using the following criteria including the Federal regulations referenced above:
  • People are not being transported for the exclusive use of the vehicle
  • Buses must be open to the public
  • A fare must be charged that is no more than the current basic fare (currently $1.75)
  • No other organization (e.g. private bus company, school bus) could provide this service
  • Event is City Sponsored
If an event is granted permission to use City buses, in addition to charging bus fare to individuals riding the busses, the Event Organizer must also pay for the cost for use of the buses which is dependent on the number of buses being used and hours of operation. 
How do I apply for City Sponsorship?                
Sponsorship for Special Events is typically funded from the Lodgers and Automobile Rental Tax (LART).  The LART fund is overseen by City Council and a City Council appointed committee.  For questions regarding LART, contact council member Jan Martin at 719-385-5486 or  Click here for more information regarding LART.
Click  here for more FAQ information regarding special events in Parks.