Hazardous Waste Management
Hazardous materials entering our streams can have a detrimental impact on the stream's health. Water quality may degrade, aquatic habitat may disappear, and aquatic life can vanish.
Our community can take an active role in protecting our streams. Examples of ways to get involved include:
- For more information on local recycling centers, please click here.
- Properly dispose of our household hazardous materials once they are no longer needed. El Paso County currently has a Permanent Household Chemical Waste Collection Facility at 3255 Akers Drive. El Paso County Solid Waste Management can be reached at (719) 520-7878.
- Become familiar with the proper usage of pesticides and other household hazardous wastes. Contact the City's Stormwater Drainage Team at (719) 385-5980 to request brochures on pesticides and on other household hazardous wastes.
- Review pesticide information available from the Colorado Department of Agriculture. Commercial applicators should comply with licensing requirements.
- Ensure prompt clean up of spills. Hazardous material spills requiring non-emergency assistance from the Fire Department can be obtained by calling the City's dispatcher at (719) 444-7000. Emergencies should be directed to the Fire Department by calling 911.