City of Colorado Springs / Forestry / Forestry FAQs

Forestry Frequently Asked Questions

For more information, please report a city tree problem here: city tree inspection form or call City Forestry at (719) 385-5942 and leave a message with your name, address and phone number. 

Q: I have tree branches down from high winds!

A: Citizens should call City Forestry at 385-5942 for tree-related emergencies in the public right-of-way.  After business hours, please leave a message with your name, address, and zip code and crews will pick up your branches when we are in your area or if it is an emergency, you can call Colorado Springs Police Department's Dispatch at 444-7000.

City Forestry is unable to remove trees or branches from trees on your private property. These are the responsibility of private property owners. For a list of licensed tree services click here.

Trees or branches that have fallen on power lines or transformers should be reported to Colorado Springs Utilities at 448-4800.

Q: How do I know if the tree along the street in front of my house belongs to me or if it is in the public right-of-way?

A:  Please click on HERE to the City’s web page which can display the property boundaries between the city and private property.

Q: Need free mulch for your water-wise landscaping projects?

A: Take I-25 to Fontenero, Exit #144, travel east to Recreation Way, travel south on Recreation Way to 1601 Recreation Way (big metal bldg. with Forestry Operations Center sign in front and fence around it). The free mulch pile is on the WEST side of the street, across from that building and homeowners can load up what you need! (Not for commercial use or resale.) Bin may be empty especially during summer months.
Also, FYI, you can drop off your own yard waste (leaves, tree clippings, old fence wood, etc.--NOT painted wood) at Rocky Top Resources, from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturdays, FREE with a canned good donation for Care and Share. Rocky Top Resources is located at 1755 E. Las Vegas St. (S.E. of water treatment plant). For more information or weekly hours and rates, call 579-9103.
Q: The tree behind my house is growing into and above the power lines. What can I do?
A: Contact CSU utility line clearance program to request an inspection of your tree at (719) 448-4800 (and tell them you need Utilities Line Clearance).
Q: I need firewood to burn this winter. Can I buy wood from Forestry?

A: Yes, we do sell some hardwood from trees that have to be removed: Click here, then click on "Colorado" and "search all" to see the wood (firewood lots) for sale through on-line CSU public auctions. Funds are used to purchase new street trees. 

You can also check with the National Forest Service for firewood wood permits at 719-636-1602 (they are located at 601 S. Weber Street).

Q: My tree looks sick. What can I do about it?

A: We have a great list of links for tree insect and disease problems. If you have a problem that can't be identified, or if more than one tree is showing the same symptoms, it may be time to call in a professional. Here is a list of Colorado Springs Certified Arborists and Licensed Tree Services. Don't trust just anyone with a chain saw for the health of your valuable landscape assets!
It's a good idea to check with your county Extension Office with tree questions, or there is also a website called Plant Facts Database that has a searchable database of factsheets from Extension services across the country.

Q: What, and when, is Arbor Day?

A: Arbor Day is America's National Tree Holiday, the day we set aside to plant ceremonial trees, educate children about the importance of trees, and honor the important role trees play in our daily lives. The first Arbor Day took place on April 10, 1872 in Nebraska. It was the brainchild of Julius Sterling Morton (1832-1902), a Nebraska journalist and politician. Today, National Arbor Day is celebrated on the last Friday in April. In Oregon, we celebrate Arbor Week the first full week in April. For more information on Arbor Day, visit the There you will find a complete list of all state Arbor Day celebrations, a list of state trees (Colorado's is Colorado Blue Spruce) and a variety of other notable tree facts, figures, and advice. And by the way, plant a tree yourself! If you don't have any more room for trees in your yard, make arrangements to volunteer to plant at the City's Arbor Day!
Q: What does it take for my community to become a Tree City USA?
A: Tree City USA is a designation that cities can earn for having Urban and Community Forestry programs. The National Arbor Day Foundation website has more information on this program. Colorado Springs has been a Tree City USA for 32 years!