Firefighter Minimum Qualifications
Candidates must meet the following minimum qualification in order to be eligible to test for firefighter.
· Be at least 18 years of age by date of hire
· Have a high school diploma or GED Certificate
· Successfully completed the Candidate Physical Abilities Test (CPAT) no more the 12 months prior to the testing process*. Find CPAT organizations here.
· You must be by the date of hire a US citizen, permanent resident alien, temporary resident alien, applicant for temporary resident status, refugee or asylee. All applicants that are offered employment must provide documents to establish their identity and employment eligibility for authorization to work in the U.S.
· You must be in appropriate physical condition and meet medical standards as established by the City of Colorado Springs Fire Department
· Have or be able to obtain a valid Colorado driver's license
· You must have not been convicted of a felony
· You must not have been convicted of a crime that would affect your ability to certify with the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians (NREMT). Visit the NREMT website at https://www.nremt.org/nremt/about/policy_felony.asp that will preclude EMT certification
For the 2013 testing process, you must have a valid CPAT by February 8, 2013. The CPAT is good for 12 months and must be valid at the time of testing AND at the time of selection and start of the Academy.
*Only a CPAT licensed by the International Association of Firefighters (IAFF) and the International Association of Fire Chiefs (IAFC) will be accepted. The Colorado Springs Fire Department requires candidates to have a valid CPAT at the time of testing (see specific date on specific hiring postings and communications) and at the time of final employment offers. Find CPAT organizations here.