Back
line





City of Colorado Springs / Fire / News

Structure Fire at 5830 Northwind Drive
Wednesday, February 05, 2014


Colorado Springs, CO – On February 1, 2014 at 7:06 p.m., Colorado Springs firefighters were dispatched to a reported structure fire at 5830 Northwind Drive. The first CSFD engine arrived within six minutes. Upon arrival firefighters found smoke and flames showing on the north side of the home.  The weather conditions (snow, ice, and cold) slowed response and firefighting activities.

CSFD responded to this single alarm fire call with seven apparatus including two fire engines, two fire trucks, and support personnel. Approximately 30 firefighters and support personnel were on scene.

There were no reported injuries to civilians or firefighters. Four people were displaced from the home, but were able to stay with relatives. The fire was reported by an off-duty CSFD firefighter as no one was at home at the time of the fire.

CSFD has estimated that $160,000 of property/content was saved, limiting the overall loss to $140,000 in property/content.

The fire originated in the fireplace and the cause was reported to be a failure of the fireplace/flue assembly, resulting in extension into the combustible construction of the home.   

The CSFD was assisted at this fire by Colorado Springs Police Department, Colorado Springs Streets Division (sand for icy conditions) and American Medical Response.

CSFD wants to remind the community to have your fireplace and chimney cleaned and inspected annually by a qualified contractor prior to the first use.  The inspection should include a thorough check of the integrity of the flue pipe and the fireplace box itself.  If there is any indication of damage, discontinue use until repairs can be completed by a qualified contractor.

Every home with wood or gas fire appliances needs to have working carbon monoxide alarms.