City of Colorado Springs / Fire / News

Structure Fire at 6169 DeSoto Drive
Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Colorado Springs, CO – On January 27, 2014 at 7:58 p.m., Colorado Springs firefighters were dispatched to a reported structure fire at 6169 DeSoto Drive. The first CSFD engine arrived within five minutes to find smoke and fire in the attic and second floor of the home. The main body of the fire was quickly extinguished, but because a chimney collapsed onto the roof crews were cautious to ensure the fires was fully extinguished. 

CSFD responded to this single alarm fire call with twelve apparatus including three fire engines, two fire trucks, and support personnel. Approximately 34 firefighters and support personnel were on scene.

There were no reported injuries to civilians or firefighters. Six people were displaced from the home.

CSFD has estimated that $263,000 of property/content was saved, limiting the overall loss to $168,000 in property/content.

The cause of the fire was determined to be accidental and origin was a chimney fire that breached into the attic.

The CSFD was assisted at this fire by CSPD, Colorado Springs Utilities, Colorado Springs Streets Division (sand for icy conditions), American Medical Response, and the Red Cross