Back
line





City of Colorado Springs / Fire / News

Structure Fire at 1916 E. Uintah
Thursday, December 19, 2013


Colorado Springs, COOn December 18, 2013 at 2:14 p.m., Colorado Springs firefighters were dispatched to a reported structure fire at 1916 E. Uintah. The first CSFD engine arrived within five minutes to find heavy smoke and fire venting from the back of the house.

 

CSFD responded to this single alarm fire call with 10 apparatus including two fire engines, two fire trucks, hazmat and heavy rescue. The 30 firefighters on scene conducted an aggressive interior attack on the fire.

 

 

Two adult females in the home were treated by CSFD for smoke inhalation and transported to a local hospital. There were no other injuries. A total of five people were displaced from the home.

 

 

 

The fire started in a bedroom of the home and was caused by misuse of fire by a child.

 

 

It is estimated that $305,388 of property/content was saved and $286,246 in property/content was lost from the fire.

 

The CSFD wants to remind our community to keep matches, lighters and other ignition sources out of reach from children, preferably in a locked cabinet or lock box. Misuse of fire occurs mostly when young children are left alone, even for a short period of time, and have access to matches and lighters. It is advised to teach young and school-age children to always tell a grown-up if they see matches or lighters. Fire, especially in a bedroom, is very difficult to control, grows rapidly, and can cause serious bodily injury and/or death.  A child with a strong interest in fire can lead to repeated fire-setting behavior.

 

For more information on prevention and intervention of youth misuse of fire, contact The Colorado Springs Fire Department’s FireFactor Program at: (719) 385-7366.