Back
line





City of Colorado Springs / Fire / News

Structure Fire at 2512 Tremont Street
Wednesday, December 11, 2013


Colorado Springs, CO – On December 10, 2012 at 5:46 p.m., Colorado Springs firefighters were dispatched to a reported structure fire at 2512 Tremont Street. The first CSFD engine crew arrived within seven minutes to find fire in the basement and on the first floor.

CSFD responded to this single alarm fire call with 11 apparatus including three fire engine crews, two fire truck crews, the hazardous materials unit, the Heavy Rescue unit, and others. There were approximately 33 personnel from the CSFD on scene working to extinguish the fire and provide medical care to the resident.

An adult male in the home suffered significant burn injuries, was transported to a local hospital, and was later transported to a Denver area hospital. The City and County of Denver Coroner’s Office reported the resident succumbed to his injuries. The City and County of Denver Coroner will release the official cause of the death at a later date.

The cause of the fire was accidental and was due to the use of a flammable liquid to start a fire in the fireplace. The fire got out of control. This is the second fire fatality of 2013.

It is estimated that $40,800 in property was lost and an estimated $21,505 in property was saved from the fire. 

The CSFD wants to remind our community to never use flammable liquids to ignite a fire within a fireplace or wood stove.