City of Colorado Springs / Emergency Management / News

FEMA Disaster Recovery Center Transitions to Disaster Loan Outreach Center Saturday
Wednesday, October 23, 2013

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. — TheFederal Emergency Management Administration (FEMA) Disaster Recovery Center for El Paso County will close at 7 p.m., Saturday, Oct. 26 and will transition on Monday, Oct. 28 to a Disaster Loan Outreach Center (DLOC).

DLOCs are operated by the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) and offer SBA representatives to review the application process and help survivors apply for low-interest disaster loans.

Disaster Loan Outreach Center


Colorado Springs Fire Training Center

375 Printers Parkway

Colorado Springs, CO 80910

Hours: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., MDT, Monday through Friday

All El Paso County residents affected by severe storms, flooding, landslides, and mudslides beginning September 11, 2013 are eligible for assistance and may still apply even after the Disaster Recovery Center closes.

For more information or to register go to www.DisasterAssistance.govor call 1-800-621-3362.

The major federal disaster declaration, signed by President Obama, offers individual assistance to El Paso and other counties across Colorado.


Assistance for losses sustained any time after Sept. 11 storm may include grants for temporary housing and home repairs, low-cost loans to cover uninsured property losses and other programs. Even those with insurance may be eligible for help from FEMA if their insurance policy does not cover all their needs.



Repair assistance may be used for:

  • Structural parts of your home (foundation, outside walls, roof)
  • Windows, doors, floors, walls, ceilings, cabinetry
  • Septic or sewage systems
  • Well or other water system
  • Heating, ventilating, and air conditioning system
  • Utilities (electrical, plumbing, and gas systems)
  • Entrance and exit ways from your home, including privately owned access roads
  • Blocking, leveling, and anchoring of a mobile home and reconnecting or resetting its sewer, water, electrical, fuel lines, and tanks


"Housing Assistance” from FEMA may be used to meet your housing needs after a disaster.  Housing assistance can include reimbursement for short term hotel expenses; money to rent a place to live for up to 18 months while your home is being repaired; money to repair damage to your home; or money to help you purchase a new home if your home is destroyed.


Financial grants from FEMA are taxpayer-funded and have a maximum dollar amount; once you reach the maximum amount, you will not be able to receive any additional grants from FEMA for the disaster.


Step 1: Contact your insurance company


Step 2: Register with the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

There are several ways to register:

  • Apply online anytime at
  • Call 800-621-FEMA (3362) or TTY at 800-462-7585. Those who use 711 or Video Relay Service (VRS) may call 800-621-3362. The toll-free telephone numbers operate from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. seven days a week until further notice. Multilingual operators are available.
  • By smartphone or tablet, use
  • When applying for aid, you will receive a nine-digit registration number that can be used for reference when corresponding with FEMA.

Please have the following information handy:

  • Current telephone number
  • Address at the time of the disaster and current address
  • Social Security number, if available
  • A general list of damages and losses
  • If insured, the name of insurance company, agent and policy number
  • Bank routing number for any direct deposit

Step 3: Receive a property inspection
Within a few days of registration, eligible applicants will be telephoned to make an appointment to have their damaged property inspected. The inspectors, who are FEMA contractors and carry identification badges, visit to make a record of damage. They do not make a determination regarding assistance. There is no cost for the inspection.

Step 4: All applicants will receive a letter from FEMA regarding the status of their requests for federal assistance.

Some will also receive an application for a low-interest disaster recovery loan from the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA).

Anyone who has questions about the letter from FEMA should call the helpline (800-621-3362 or TTY, 800-462-7585).

Those who receive an application packet from the SBA must complete and submit the forms. No one is required to accept a loan, but submitting the application may open the door to additional FEMA grants.