Community Emergency Preparedness Night at SkySox Stadium Friday
Tuesday, August 20, 2013
Colorado Springs, Colo -- The Colorado Springs Office of Emergency Management will celebrate September’s National Preparedness Month during “Community Emergency Preparedness Night” at Sky Sox Stadium Friday, Aug. 23. The gates open at 6 p.m. and the game starts at 7:05 p.m.
Pre-game activities start at 6 p.m. and will give families an opportunity to learn about emergency preparedness through interactive demonstrations to include:
- Smoke and fire trailer
- Signs for Life traffic safety bus
- Electrical and natural gas leak exhibits
- Medevac helicopter tours
- Police vehicles and fire engines
- McGruff the Crime Dog, Smokey Bear, Iron Man and others.
There will also be an opportunity to learn how to register for emergency alerts, participate in a blood drive to receive two free SkySox tickets for the 2014 season, and donate non-perishables to a local food bank.
The most important steps citizens and businesses can take to lessen the effects of a disaster are to Get Prepared, Get Trained, and Get Involved. Fans will also have the opportunity to meet with representatives from local organizations to learn about volunteer opportunities. This community would not be able to maintain resiliency for a disaster without the assistance of volunteers.
This event involves many first response and/or emergency preparedness partners from the community to include:
- Colorado Springs Fire Department
- Colorado Springs Police Department
- Colorado Springs Utilities
- El Paso County Sheriff Emergency Services Division
- Penrose-St. Francis Health Services
- Pikes Peak American Red Cross
- The Independence Center
- El Paso-Teller County Authority (E-911) System
- Pikes Peak Region Humane Society
- El Paso County Public Health
- American Medical Response
- Medical Response Corps of El Paso County
- Salvation Army
- Care and Share
Our emergency services personnel do an incredible job of keeping us safe while responding to disasters, but they can't do it alone. We must all embrace our individual responsibility to be prepared.
For ticket information, call (719) 597-1449 or visit www.skysox.com.