City continues concrete repair cost-sharing option for homeowners
Thursday, March 28, 2013
The City of Colorado Springs, with funding from the Pikes Peak Rural Transportation Authority (PPRTA) and the City General Fund, will continue the 50/50 cost-sharing program to repair/replace concrete sidewalks and curb and gutter adjacent to private property in 2013. Fifty percent of the cost is paid for by the City, whilethe property owner pays the other half. Concrete must be rated Priority 1 or 2 (explained further in release).
Concrete repairs to sidewalks and curb gutter adjacent to private property are ultimately the responsibility and liability of the adjacent property owner; however, the City has allocated funding to assist with these repairs. Currently there is an approximately 16-year backlog of citizen requests for concrete repair. The 50/50 cost-sharing program is designed to allow citizens to get Priority 1 and 2 areas addressed sooner and allow the City to address more needs with available funding.
In 2012, the City spent $107,500 in PPRTA funding and repaired concrete at 60 residences. For 2013, $115,000 in PPRTA funding plus $200,000 from the City General Fund has been allocated to the 50/50 Cost Share program. The additional General Fund dollars are part of the Mayor’s 2013 breakthrough strategy to increase road and stormwater maintenance.
Repair needs must meet Priority 1 or 2 levels using objective criteria established under the concrete repair program.
Priority 2 areas are those that meetat least one of these conditions:
- 75 to 100 percent of the curb head or sidewalk is chipped or broken
- Concrete has settled at least 2 inches
- 50% or more of the surface has spalled (top ½ to 1 inch has worn away, leaving a rough surface)
Priority 1 areas meet at least one of the Priority 2 conditions AND at least one of these conditions:
- Verified accident or claim for injury caused by damage
- Citizen with a disability whose access is impeded due to damage
- 250 yard proximity to hospital, school, senior center or bus stop
Citizens interested in participating should call 385-5411 to schedule an inspection/rating session with a City/PPRTA inspector. Here are some basic cost estimates for concrete work:
- Remove damaged curb and gutter $5.50 per linear foot
- Install curb and gutter $14.25 per linear foot
- Remove damaged sidewalk $2.25 per square foot
- Install sidewalk $2.90 per square foot
# # #