Back
line





City of Colorado Springs / Commissions & Committees / Public Safety Sales Tax Oversight Committee

Wednesday, February 01, 2012

Committee members in attendance: Debbie Klisch, Richard Hansen, Tim Cassibry, Dan Mullin, Winfield Pate, Jake Jacob, Marjorie Smith

Committee members absent: Veronica Sheldon, Ron Ruckdeschel, Joe Pelka, Randy Case

Others present: Leslie Hickey/CSFD, Nancy McCauley/CSPD, Joe Curro/CSPD and Jena Rakoczy/CSPD

Call to Order:Meeting was called to order at 4:30 p.m.

Citizen Comment:No citizen comment.

Approval of Minutes:

Chairperson D. Mullin stated he was asked by L. Hickey to defer approval of the December 7th Meeting Minutes as Staff comments were incomplete.  L. Hickey added the minutes would be completed and distributed within the next 2-3 days to Committee Members.  It was agreed Committee Members would vote on the revised Minutes at the next meeting.

 Old Business and Updates:

Department Updates 

Budget and Fire – Leslie Hickey

  • L. Hickey discussed the four hand-outs that were provided in the packets.   She first reviewed the Sales & Use Tax report indicating she had added two columns to reflect the percentage change from year-to-year. She then explained the two pages entitled Department Listing of Obligations vs. Budget are reports that had not been given to the Committee for quite some time.  These are reports that document the percentage of budget spent/remaining for a particular month and for the fiscal year to date.  It was agreed that the Committee would like to continue to receive these reports. Her final comments updated the Committee on the status of Fire Department projects.  She noted the recent steps taken to further the Station 21 project.  She also explained that the Emergency Operations Center is in the process of moving to the Fire Department Complex West; a property originally purchased with PSST funding. 
  •  

Police – Nancy McCauley

  • N. McCauley advised the Committee that the contract for eCitation has been signed and a user group has been formed to identify the most appropriate equipment for this project.  CSPD plans on having eCitation fully implemented by the end of 2012.  J. Jacob requested that CSPD provide reports to the Committee regarding the efficiencies found with the new program. N. McCauley also reported to the Committee that a recruit academy began on January 25, and two of the recruits will be funded by PSST.

 Discussion & Action Items

Chairperson D. Mullin announced that Committee Member V. Sheldon had resigned her position for personal reasons.  He stated the search for a replacement had already begun.  It was determined that the Committee has a total of 11 positions – 7 are At-Large and 4 are District Representatives.  D. Mullin encouraged the Committee to contact anyone they thought might be interested in serving.    

R. Hansen requested that the Meeting Minutes be distributed to the Chair and Vice-Chair within 10 days after the meeting.  He stated that it seems the Minutes are up to 60 days old by the time of the next meeting date and the items are not as easy to recall.  R. Hansen asked if the Meeting Minutes could be sent to the Committee three weeks after the meeting.  Both L. Hickey and N. McCauley stated they would check with K. Hughlett and J. Rakoczy to make sure this was done.

 Nominations and Election of 2012 Officers

W. Pate nominated D. Mullin for a third term as Chairman, T. Cassiby seconded the motion.  The vote for D. Mullin as Chairman was passed 6-0, with D. Mullin abstaining.  It was noted that J. Pelka stated at the last meeting that he would not be able to serve another term a Vice-Chair for personal reasons.  With that in mind, Chairperson D. Mullin requested nominations for Vice-Chair.  D. Mullin nominated T. Cassibry for Vice-Chair and R. Hanson seconded the motion.  T. Cassibry accepted letting the Committee know that he may not be able to serve a full term as he might be moving.  The vote for T. Cassibry as Vice-Chair was passed 6-0, with T. Cassibry abstaining. 

J. Jacob wanted to publicly thank both L. Hickey and N. McCauley for taking the time to meet with him and educate him regarding the budget questions he had. 

J. Jacob asked how the Committee participates in the 2013 budget cycle.  D. Mullin explained that information is provided to the Committee which is discussed and recommendations are made.  He stated that they ask questions, present motions and vote.  D. Mullin added that the recommendations are then taken to City Council.  He stated that City Council can be overwritten by the Mayor unless they have a super majority which then overruns the Mayor’s decision.  D. Mullin stated that he would e-mail the last budget presentation to both J. Jacob and D. Klisch to give them an overview of the funding for 2011. 

Next Meeting Date – April 4, 2012

Adjournment

The meeting was adjourned at 5:30 p.m.

Notes:  The minutes of the meeting were taken by J. Rakoczy.  Any omissions or corrections should be brought to the Chairperson’s attention at the next PSSTOC meeting.